Gerontology Interest Group
Epidemiology of Aging Journal Club
Courses in Aging
The Gerontology Interest Group is dedicated to providing opportunities to address public health issues of the elderly population through the sharing of experiences, interests, and information.
Our goals are to organize a variety of activities and events that encourage an understanding of gerontological issues, to build a network among students, faculty, staff, and alumni who are interested in public health issues relevant to older persons (demography, policy, economy, epidemiology, mental health), and to promote collaboration through joint activities with outside organizations that share the group’s interests (e.g. Gerontological Society of America, American Geriatrics Society). All students, faculty,and staff are welcome to participate.
The Gerontology Interest Group holds an annual poster session.
- Tuesday, September 15, 2009 at 12:15 in JHSPH Room W2033: First Quarter Meeting.
- Saturday, October 24, 2009: Alzheimer's Association Memory Walk. Click here for more information on the JHSPH GIG team
- Thursday, February 3, 2011 at 12:15 in JHSPH Room W3031: Third Quarter Meeting. Dr. Judith Kasper will present, "The National Health and Aging Trends Study: A new resource for studying disability trends and dynamics."
Faculty sponsor: Paulo Chaves, MD, PhD;
Student contact: Jennifer Deal (email@example.com) and Zenobia Moore (firstname.lastname@example.org)
The Epidemiology of Aging journal club facilitates dialogue between students and faculty on current research ics in aging and geriatrics. During meetings, students in the Epidemiology of Aging program present and lead a discussion of a self-selected epidemiologic study. Journal club meetings provide opportunities for students to gain experience in public speaking, to increase exposure to current research, and to exercise critical thinking skills. Meetings times are to be determined, but are most often held the last Monday of each month from 12:15-1:15 at the Center on Aging and Health.
- Joint meeting with STI journal club on Thursday, February 10, 2011 from 5-6pm in JHSPH Room E4611 Articles
- Joint meeting with Methods/General Epi journal club onn Thursday, March 10, 2011 from 12-1:30pm in JHSPH Room W4013.
- Biological Basis of Aging (260.665)
- Health Issues for Aging Populations (309.605)
- Managing Long-Term Care Services For Aging Populations (309.606)
- Innovations in Health Care for Aging Populations (309.607)
- New Frontiers in Gerontology (309.608)
- Mental Health in Later Life (330.618)
- Epidemiology of Aging (340.616)
- Dynamics of Population Aging (380.753)
For more information on courses at the Bloomberg School of Public Health, please visit http://commprojects.jhsph.edu/courses/